Sunday, November 17, 2013

My Top 10 Sanity Tips

     Yes, I have four boys and homeschool them. So that means we are together a lot! As you can imagine I often get comments like, " Are they all yours? " or " You've got your hands full!" In fact they are, as I am sure a lot of you have your hands full too. I really wanted my first blog to be some helpful tips that keep me sane!

1.) When on the Go- Always have a few toys in your purse or diaper bag, example; hotwheel cars and little action figures. Make sure to pack drinks and snacks, example: bottle of water and goldfish work great.

2.) Bathroom Stop- We all make a potty break before we leave and as soon as we get where ever we are going. When we are driving if we have to stop for gas, might as well make it a potty break too. You still might have to stop in the middle of dinner, but it does help.

3.) Dress Up for Boy?!?- You know all those Halloween costumes they only get to wear once a year, well keep them out for play. If you find some after Halloween on sell at thrift store snag them! Capes, swords, shields, costumes too big or too small it doesn't really matter the playtime is endless.

4.) Laundry, Laundry, and More Laundry- If you are like me, I can easily put clothes in washer and dryer it's the folding and putting away that I dread. My philosophy with clothes is, "If you like to wear clean clothes then you should help clean and put up your own." With kid's ages it varies but this is how we break it down: youngest (20mon. at time I wrote this) helps separate the clothes, middle child (3yrs at the time) can fold shorts and boxers plus match up socks, and my oldest (then 7yrs old) can do it all; separate, fold, and put up. Every man should know how to do their own laundry!

5.) Easy Busy Time Fun- It is so common, we often forget how much kids love stamps and stickers. Let them have paper, stamps and stickers and create away. You can even make an outline of a letter or number for them to fill in or make a card. There is always a thank you or birthday card to give. It is always easier to finish one of your own projects like making dinner when they have something to keep busy!

6.) Store Runners- I strongly believe in giving kids options and consequences. When I need to take kids to the store I will tell them before we step inside, "You can either sit inside cart or you must hold one hand on cart." I let them decide. I remind them of the consequence, "If you do not listen when we get home you will get a spanking for not obeying." Sometimes we will even stop at bathroom if needed. My oldest does fine walking beside me. My middle child does either or, and has a few reminders of the choices. And the little toddler sits in cart. Everyone can modify this to each their own the point is to give them a choice and consequence before you start shopping and stick to your consequences.

7.) Pick Up Nonsense- "Pick up your toys," might always seem to be coming out of your mouth, but it can be manageable. Surely there is more than one way but this is how I manage; instead of picking up at the end of the night we pick up 2-3 times a day. Kids are going to make a mess, but there is such a thing as a controlled mess. Our best times to pick up is a little before lunch, before dinner, and before night time snack. Yes I use food as a motivator, and it works. It's not a detail clean up but more of a general toys off the floor and into their containers clean. Point is don't let it get out of control.

8.) TIME- This TIME is for yourself. Right now I am enjoying going to a fitness center. Just for a hour maybe two times a week. It releases stress, helps me to lose weight, gives more energy, and probably most importantly I get away for a little bit. If you have no desire to workout or can't, find some other way. Run your errands by yourself, like; go to the grocery store, stop at hobby lobby, and maybe a drink from sonic because hey you deserve it. Or grab a nice big cup of coffee or tea and go to a bedroom or somewhere you can be alone while you make your lesson plans, read, or make a grocery list even if it's just an hour.

9.) When All Else Fails- Meet a friend at a park or go to an inside play area. Kids need to interact with other kids and just PLAY! This makes them happy thus making you happier, or at least less stressed.

10.) Laugh- Are you finding yourself or the kids a little stir crazy? Take a break, seriously let go of whatever you are doing or need to do. Bring out a board game, puzzle or even washable paint and just LAUGH.

     Sometimes you just need to step away and refocus. Laundry, dishes, and school work will still be there for tomorrow. But at the end of the day you want to step back and think fondly of at least one occasion when you and your kids laughed, smiled, or just shared a bonding moment.

Next blog you will get a mini greet of my family.   

No comments:

Post a Comment