Thursday, November 19, 2015

Quiet Mommy Momments




You are reading the title of this post and thinking, "I have no idea what she is saying." Or others are like, "yes, they are vital!" In all practicality we (Moms) all have these moments, they just vary in frequency and duration.




Being a parent is the highest career title I've always dreamed of . . . Yet over each year, it is proving to be the most challenging job/blessing/dream I could have ever imagined. You know? My perception was so far off! Like way off. Raise kids to know who Christ is, disciple and love them, were my key goals. But there is so much more. Taking care of the necessities, the extras, sharing the GOSPEL (which involves a life-time ministry to our kids), discipline, getting to the heart of their actions/attitudes, making the hard decisions, standing against culture norm, being a spiritual mentor, being a living example, loving, guiding, supporting ... and the list goes on. I'm just finding this season of my life with kids ranging from (almost) 10 years old to 2 years old, to be exhausting. Are you there? Well I have found a few sanity tips that have been so vital during this time in my life, I call them 'Quiet Mommy Moments'.

First off, we are night owls! Even my kids enjoy staying up late. But for MY SANITY it is crucial they go to bed at a reasonable hour. Sure there are exceptions, but it is not the normal. Our bedtime goal for our kids is 9-9:30. That means they usually wake up between 7-8 o'clock. And after they are in bed it usually leaves me with several hours of down time. Now sometimes I just crash from the days vigorous list of things-to-do. Or lets face it just surviving. But more than not, I'm up until the wee hours. I have time to do some much needed Jesus time. I work on various volunteer things I got going on. Occasionally I read a book, while catching up on my shows. And there is a slight chance I might have an opportunity to work on a hobby (scrap-booking or crocheting).

I break away every week (for about 2 months now) to meet with a friend (a woman, of course) for a couple of hours. This starting out with the intentions of being spiritual mentors and accountable partners to each other. And it has! But I for-see a life long friendship! I can not express the need for everyone to be feed spiritually. May it be in a bible study, small group or just another person to be your spiritual mentor. And some may require more than others.

Now there are several times during a day that I try to have a quiet moment. I've started feeding my boys lunch first. After lunch I put my youngest down for a nap. Then I let the older ones go outside in the backyard. Then I make my lunch, sit at my table, eat alone, and watch them from my window. That's right eating my lunch alone! No 'mommy can you get...' or 'oops I spelt ...'. Just silence. Afterwards, I usually start with some house chores. But even doing them, without constant interruptions seems like I accomplish so much more.

It is a family tradition of ours to take Sunday naps, given the opportunity. Get home, eat lunch, and the youngest is ready for a nap. We allow the others to stay in living room and relax. So they can watch a movie, color or something else quiet. Then my husband and I take a nap in our room, with door open (it is right there, opening into living room). And when the youngest wakes up, we get up. It is so refreshing! And truth-be-told sometimes I have to fight the urge to fill my afternoon with busyness.

I take prolonged bathroom breaks. Yea I know ... weird. I just sit there a little while, serf the web. These are not long breaks, but I need it. I need a moment of distraction ... nothing to do with current situation.

When all the children seem preoccupied I sneak away to my room, and sit on my bed. Just close my eyes and take a breathe. Short lived, I assure you. But hey sometimes that small moment is what gets me through the day.

Sometimes I just simply ask my husband to do something with them. During the warmer months it might just be having them go outside while I work on something inside. Lately its giving them a bath/shower while I do some chore around the house. It seems meaningless, but it helps.

Find your moment. Stay sane. One day at a time.

Ephesians 1:3 (NKJV) 'Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ'

You have everything you need to get through the moment. Ask God to help you use the patience/peacefulness/calmness/strength/self-control/love (and so much more) that He has already given you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment