Saturday, October 17, 2015

Just Another Day

It is Saturday. Did I mention we have 3 kids in sports now, crazy I know. As you imagined Saturday, means game time around this house! My mother has been wanting to watch the boys play their games, and I thought this would be as good of a day as any. (Somehow those last words came back to bite me!)

First off my mother lives a little over an hour away. Which meant I had to get up extra early to pick her up, and be back before the first kid's game. She can not drive. She also watch's my nephew during the day, so he got to come along and spend the day watching his cousins play.

The night before my husband and I were talking and figuring out what time I would need to leave in order to be back in time for the first game. Now, I have a master game schedule which includes all three boy's game dates, times, and locations. Yes, of course it is color coded. As we recalled, the first game was going to be 10am in our hometown. Which I figured leaving soon after 7am would get me there, pick them up and be back before the game to began.

6:45 the alarm goes off. Huh, too early ... I push snooze. Okay the second time, I got up. Before my feet hit the floor, my precious little boy is at my bedside moaning. Which I know means, "Mom get me breakfast, turn on the cartoons and come sit with me on the couch." He speaks little (even at 2 1/2 years old), but we have this Mother-Son bond thing going on. Any who, I quickly give in to his demands so I can finish getting ready. As it appears no one else is up, and he is still insisting on me sitting next to him on the couch. Something with that Mother-Son bond, he is so attached. I begin to worry he will throw an all out fit if I leave and might even try to follow me ... So I decide I'll just get him ready and he can go with me. It is now 7:10. Then my oldest comes down stairs, and I feel at ease to go. I check the schedule, posted on our fridge, one last time before I leave. Checking times, and location. Guess what, the game is at 9am! AH! So I quickly go wake up my husband and tell him the game is at 9am not 10am. Which means he has to be there at 8:30 to warm up, with all four kids ready. And off I go ...

7:20 and I am thinking okay I can still be back and not miss much of the game. I can take more toll roads, there isn't much traffic on Saturday morning. Get there at my moms, just over an hour later. Heading back now, and I start to get texts from my husband. Like, "OMG, Jamie!" Oh no, I can just imagine what disaster is happening. After calling him, he tells me there is no one at the fields or any other fields in town. And our dear oldest son, almost 10 years old, forgot his game pants. Uh, the troubles ... these boys were suppose to have their bags checked and ready to go the night before. Where the heck is his game at, Travis texted his coach but had not received at response yet. GREAT! So now I am trying to look at emails to see if I can find the schedule from his team on there. I can't ... I tried texting his coach, nothing ... Finally I called, and his wife answered. Figured out it is at 9am but in the next town, and the following week it will be at our hometown. (Stop right there, I just want you to know that the individual game schedules are behind the master schedule which has been made quite some time. Anyone of us could have noticed the mix up, so I think it is only fair that the blame should be shared. Continue.) Then I received another text from my poor frustrated husband, they can not find his game pants. I called my husband again, and told him don't worry I will pick them up before his game. Travis arrived just minutes after game began. And we arrived shortly after that. (As I got to the game, I realized that my second to youngest was still wearing his day clothes he fell asleep in from last night. But hey they were day clothes, and I did get little dressed before I left. The older two got dressed themselves.)  Game #1

Game ends. I told my husband I'll go home get his game pants, if he will just take the other boys to park and play for a little while. And I will be back before the next kid's game begins. Okay I get home, looked around and found the boy;s pants. I went ahead and grabbed more water and a few more snacks. Thinking we would have to eat lunch sometime. At that time my loving husband text me to tell me that the next game is not is the town he usually plays in. Which I knew, but I presumed that meant he drove to the next town over and found that out the hard way. At that point I had left the house, and was headed back to the games. I thought maybe we will just grab some hamburgers since we already have snacks and drinks. I called my husband. Now, the kid that is about to play ... forgot his cleats. Again I revolt back to survivor mode and try to remain calm. Telling my husband it is okay. He can warm up with his tennis shoes, after I grab the hamburgers I'll go back home and find them. And I will make it back again before the game begins. On the road again back to the house ... So the cleats where in the hall closet. Grabbed them and off we went, again ... Made it just before game started, and he put them on. As we watched the game, we cheered him on, and ate our lunch. Game #2

Now we loaded up for the home stretch, one more game. As we are figuring out who is riding with who, I noticed my oldest is wearing is long sleeve under-armor shirt. Now here in Texas on this October morning there was a slight chill breeze, but it was warming up. And the oldest is in tackle football with pads, I thought he is going to have a heat stroke. As you guessed, he did not bring another shirt ... So I made the next oldest take off his game shirt turned it inside out so the oldest could wear something short sleeve under his pads. Then I let the 2nd oldest wear the 3rd son's shirt, and the 3rd son wore his game jersey. (Really the second boy is small and almost wears the same size as his younger brother, so it wasn't a big deal.) Problem solved. We arrived with a few minutes to spare. Travis decided to stay in van until game started, so little could finish a short nap. The rest of us waited a few minutes, put some sun block on and was ready to go. So we head out. Oldest is warming up with his team, we grabbed some snacks and drinks. We sit in the only shade until game starts. Then as my 3rd son keeps asking me for more food, I realize he did not eat lunch. And the worst mom award goes to ... Me! So I grabbed him a hotdog, and he was happy. Game goes on, kids play on stands. We try not to get toasted. Right as the game ends, my nephew laying down on one of the bleacher seats falls off onto the next seat. Blood is coming out ... and he is not happy! My mom holds him, and I just attempt to find the wound and apply pressure. Husband goes to concession stand, gets ice and band-aids. After every person stops and ask if he is okay... bless them. We clean up the blood, find sight of the wound. It really doesn't look bad. After few more minutes the blood stops, and of course band-aids won't stick. So we load them up. Game #3

Travis takes our boys home. I have my mom and nephew. We stop at nearest CVS. I got Motrin and liquid band-aid. Gave it to him, and he was fine. Even that night my mom said he didn't bleed much and the next day they didn't need to reapply it or give him Motrin. Thank goodness. Bless my awesome husband was cooking dinner when I got home. And we just rested what was left of the evening. Exhausted ... what a day! 

                                                                                         
       

Just another day in my life ...

Matthew 6:34 NIV 'Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.'

Ain't that the truth!

2 comments: